Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Great Bourbon Bargain Alert!

As many of you know, I'm a bourbon connoisseur.  I have quite a collection of full, partially full, and completely empty bourbon bottles at home and I choose to sip a bourbon almost daily.  With that said, I'm always on the lookout for a good bourbon deal and yesterday I found a great one to share.




I went to Big Daddy's liquor store in Coconut Grove yesterday to commandeer a keg for my New Year's Eve party and naturally sauntered over to the bourbon shelves to see if they had anything interesting.  Big Daddy's doesn't really have a terrific selection of bourbons but they do have the staples like Maker's Mark, Basil Hayden, Booker's, and Blanton's.  Lo and behold, I noticed that one of my favorite bargain bourbons, Corner Creek, was on sale for $9.99!  I didn't think it was possible for bargain bourbons like Corner Creek (usually priced at about $17.99-$19.99 per 750ml bottle) to become and even better bargain but the proof was sitting there on that shelf, staring me in the face with its' little red sale tag taunting me to make the purchase.  Naturally, I did just that.

So, if you're into bourbon and want a nice, smooth sipper at a great price - head to Big Daddy's in the Grove now and get yourself a bottle of Corner Creek.  It's an 88-proof bourbon that is only lightly filtered so it holds some nice flavor notes to it - vanilla, caramel, char/wood, and hints of cherry.  Somewhat surprising to me is that it is also a very smooth bourbon that I like to sip neat or with a cube or two of ice, depending on what kind of a mood I'm in.  The flavor isn't overly bold, so a little ice melt won't ruin it for ya.  It comes in a bottle resembling a wine bottle, actually.  At $9.99, this is a must buy, must try.

Your welcome.

4 comments:

TheRealEdwin said...

Get some whiskey stones and never worry about ice cube melt ever again. link

SteveBM said...

Ha! Not for nothing but I dont think I wanna go there. First off, it looks ridiculous and secondly I dont think it would be very comfortable to have stones hitting you in the mouth each time you sipped. Who knows if any impurities are transferred from the rock either? Interesting yet gimmicky idea though. The real best way to have real ice w/o much fear of drip is to get that machine that makes the ice spheres. I've had a few drinks with one of those ice balls and the ice barely melts into the glass. Pretty cool too.

non sequitur said...

Steve: I sat across from you at the sra Martinez chowdown, and like you I love a deal, so I just picked up 4 bottles at the Hallandale location. Drop me a note if work takes you through Aventura and I'll invite you in for a swig.

PS: speaking of quail, I saw you spell "potatoe" the same way as the infamous former VP of same name ;)

SteveBM said...

Dah! Where did I spell potato taht way? I sometimes do that cuz its rare that I write it as non-plural haha.

Great move on the Corner Creek! You will enjoy that for sure. For a 88-proofer its really smooth. I blew thru my bottle already and may go back again!