Monday, January 25, 2010

Good Find at Fresh Market

I walked into Fresh Market the other day and noticed that they had Asian pears that were bigger than my fist!  I love Asian pears and I'm trying to make more of an effort to make dinner at home instead of going out all the time so I picked one up.  Look at the size of this bad mutha!



I also picked up a bushel of Earthbound Farms' fresh herb salad mix and some goat cheese and then I noticed that blueberries were 2 pints for $5 so I jumped on that too.  If you like raspberries, blackberries, and/or blueberries, Fresh Market usually has them on deal at 2/$5.  So, if they aren't that price on your particular visit and you don't mind waiting check back the next week they likely will be.

Tonight I sliced up 1/2 of the Asian pear to make a salad for dinner.  This thing was so big that I only needed to slice up 1/2 of it.





Then I filled a bowl with the fresh herb salad mix, added the pear, blueberries, and goat cheese and tossed with a tiny amount of olive oil and this pinot noir vinegar I'd received at a Slow Food Miami dinner.


The end result was a winner.  I liked the sweetness of the pear against the slightly tart blueberries and the acidity of the red wine vinegar.  The goat cheese balanced everything out nicely.  I suppose you could also add grilled chicken to make this a more hearty salad too.  If you've never tried one of these pears, give it a shot.  They are great in a salad and I also like to use them with brie and turkey in a sandwich.  Or you could just eat them like an apple.  Regardless of how you use them, you can find these giant Asian pears at the Fresh Market in Coconut Grove.

No comments: