Monday, May 9, 2011

The 30 Day Challenge

I have a pretty simple lifestyle - go to work, pay my bills, eat and drink as best as I can, try to have as many good times as much as possible.  My daily routine usually involves an adult beverage at some point, typically of the bourbon variety but occasionally I'll have a beer.  Why?  Well, I guess it helps me unwind but really I just love bourbon.  I love the aroma, the taste, and the bite of it.  Unfortunately, one can sometimes turn into two, then two turns into three or four and...well you get it. 

I wouldn't say I have a problem with alcohol.  I don't "get drunk" on a daily basis.  In fact, most of the time I only have one or two.  Lately, however, I've been wondering if having a drink has a hold on me.  When I start thinking like that, it's time for a test.  That test is what I've dubbed the 30-day challenge.


For the next 30 days I will be off the booze!!  It's kinda like Lent but without all the religion and stuff.  I'm going to try to stick with my regular routine of eating out almost every night and trying to keep my lifestyle as consistent as usual just minus the booze.  I think it will have a positive effect.  I'm looking to track a number of things to see how not drinking effects me:
  • Will I lose weight?  How much?
  • How is my average restaurant check affected?
  • How is my monthly credit card bill affected?
  • Will my sleeping patterns be affected at all?
  • Will I get off to an earlier start and get more accomplished on the weekends?
  • Will I put in more time on this blog?
Wow, can't believe I didn't have a drink during that Heat/Celtics game!  What a doozy!  I made up for my lack of drinking with excessive tweeting.  I have a feeling it's going to be a long 30 days but I'm confident I can do it.  I got strong willpower and shit. It's now been 48 hours since I have had an alcoholic beverage.  Two days down - 28 to go!

3 comments:

Paula said...

I have complete faith in you.

Laine Doss said...

I can't wait to post about your failure in Short Order

SteveBM said...

Thanks, Paula! :)